Sunday 13 November 2011

A Week Teaching Music at Oldenburg University

The week of 31st October I was at Oldenburg University as part of the Erasmus Scheme. This all occurred because the Professor of Music there Violeta Dinescu approached and invited me to go and teach. This was my first such trip and I was not really sure what to expect. It was a most enjoyable week during which I learnt much about the system in Germany and their approach to teaching music - the lecturers there were very welcoming (especially the composer Roberto Reale who was a great help). The following observations may not be precisely correct but they are what seemed to be the case to me at the time.
   It seems to me that lecturers at Oldenburg are much more independent than is the case the UK - there seemed to be a greater autonomy in the courses and what was offered by lecturers. In some of the courses/modules there were student from all years which is quite different from what happens at Kingston (although some 3rd year classes are taken by MAs). The students at Oldenburg seemed to be very serious and committed students, although this might be because they were all planning to become music teachers. The course has 3 years for the BA and a further 2 years for the MA. Before they can teach in schools they also have to undertake school observations. Students at Oldenburg have a good theoretical background and all seemed to have some ability on the piano. They seemed a little reticent and reserved in my classes but that may have been because they had to speak in English.
   It was good to see lots of practical music-making going on to a good standard (I heard the Wind Ensemble and Choir). I particularly enjoyed playing 'Katzen Musik' (Cat music) with Axel Fries - it was a really inspiring class exploring improvising with bottles and wine glasses. One quirk of the German system caught me out and that was the 'academical quarter hour' - all classes start 15 minutes late and finish 15 minutes early - no-one had told me that because it is so ingrained in Germany. I thought this was an excellent idea, as in UK there is often no time between classes. However they do start at 8 am (or 8.15) which would be less popular. It was also odd to see chalk still being used and I was pleaseed to see some OHPs. The German students are also very polite and at the end of classes all knock on the tables in approval. The food in the canteen was also excellent and apparently all organic - I really enjoyed eating at the Culinarium where the food was cooked in front of you. All in all, Oldenburg is an excellent place to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment